The Director, Environmental Services oversees the Environmental Services operations, including Food and Hospitality services. The Director is responsible for the efficient management of staff, materials, and other budgeted resources. The incumbent works with other Directors, Managers, and other appropriate staff to maintain a high level of efficiency in housekeeping, linen support, biomedical and waste management, patient/non-patient food services and other essential hospital services.
Our ideal candidate:
- Responsible and accountable for environmental services and project management including strategic and operational planning functions, quality of services, and safety.
- Responsible for two managerial reports of the Food and Hospitality Departments, and direct supervision of Maintenance staff.
- Responsible for developing and monitoring capital and operating budgets.
- Must possess project management skills sufficient to identify project needs and objectives, to determine priorities and appropriate time frames, to establish and implement strategies for the completion of projects including the scheduling of tasks, budget and delegation of assignments and to undertake ongoing assessments and revisions.
- Determines the need for outside contracted services, development of procurement documentation, related negotiation, finalization, contract monitoring and authorization of payment for such services.
- Coordinates with hospital staff, contractors, and engineers in regard to planning and construction of new facilities and alteration or renovations to existing infrastructure.
- Ensures appropriate equipment, processes and personnel in place to facilitate adequate heating, cooling, ventilation, building fabric and structure as well as specialized equipment throughout the hospital.
- Provides on-going follow-up of all work orders and work schedules to ensure continuing progress or completion and maintain relations with other hospital departments and personnel by keeping them advised concerning outstanding work orders.
- Coordinates waste handling and disposal.
- Ensure that all fire detection and firefighting equipment is inspected regularly, is operative and maintained properly in accordance with local and provincial regulations and that all Hospital staff receives regular training in its use.
- Ensure that all elevator equipment is properly maintained, inspected, and operating.
- Ensure that medical gas storage and distribution systems and vacuum systems are maintained in safe operating condition to required Canadian Standards Association and Provincial Standards.
- Ensures that all building and systems conform to requirements of regulatory bodies including OHSA, AODA, building codes, and other legislative requirements.
- Develops, maintains, and supervises preventative maintenance programs.
- Responsible for security and liaise with Police as required.
- Other job duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- University undergraduate degree in Business Management, Engineering or related field required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Environmental Services Management required.
- Experience with Project Management required.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in a leadership role within a unionized required. Experience in the healthcare system preferred.
- Strong computer skills required including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) and Environmental Services related software.
- Must possess supervisory and people management skills sufficient to allocate human resources effectively, ensuring appropriate matches between personnel and projects. Organizes work activites of staff, maintains staff schedules and delegates duties appropriately. Establishes clear performance standards, provides constructive feedback to develop and motivates staff.
- Must possess human relations skills sufficient to develop positive working relationships with managers, staff at all levels, union reps and other contacts internal and external to the organization.
- Must possess systems development, planning and organizational skills sufficient to develop and implements proposals for projects, departmental policies, procedures, goals and objectives.
- Must possess finance management skills sufficient to develop budget proposals, administer budgets and to develop methods to improve upon resource usage.
- Must possess knowledge of accident prevention theories and occupational safety practices, principles, theories and processes sufficient to develop, implement and evaluate occupational safety program systems and initiatives.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of all applicable regulations, legislation and best practices such as Building Codes, Public Hospitals’ Act, Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Human Rights Code, Workplace Safety & Insurance Act, AODA and the Employment Standards Act.
- Must possess analytical and problem-solving skills sufficient to assess safety concerns and work practices in order to identify problem areas and recommend the implementation of appropriate corrective measures.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
CLOSING DATE: MARCH 2, 2018 4:00 P.M.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter. Please return to the main Careers Page to apply.