Personnel in the department must be well trained in emergency procedures and security policies, regarding cardiac arrests, fire, disaster, panic alarms and after hours door control, as these functions are vital in an emergency situation.
The Switchboard Operator is responsible for receiving and coordinating incoming telephone communications and overhead pages.
Our ideal candidate:
- Must have human relation skills sufficient to effectively interact with the public in a calm and efficient manner as well as to respond to queries and provide direction to visitors, hospital staff and security, with regards to location, access and key passages to specific areas of the hospital during normal hours of operation and after hours.
- Must be able to provide coverage for patient registration functions; including registration, admission, transfer, discharge, bed allocation, physician contact and facilitation of daily bed meeting, including preparing all computer generated lists, determining bed availability, and preparing appropriate accommodations.
- Must have good organizational skills sufficient to prioritize work and to handle a workload with regular interruptions, changes in priorities and deadlines, which demand accuracy.
- Must have familiarity with the telephone system and public address system.
- Must be very familiar with hospital emergency codes, responses and procedures in order to effectively assist with communication needs during an emergency situation.
- Competent in Microsoft programs such as Excel. Experience with Meditech preferred.
- Must have excellent judgement and attention to detail with a high regard for confidentiality.
- Must have skills to accurately handle cash, debit, Visa, and Mastercard payments; receipts, charge slips, and prepare floats.
- Other clerical skills as required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Graduate Certificate of a college Office Administration program or the equivalent in related experience.
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology required.
- Previous experience with switchboard preferred.
- Previous experience with hospital admissions and registration preferred.
- Proven ability to follow specific instructions with high degree of accuracy.
- Must possess English language verbal communication skills sufficient to communicate clearly with the public, patients, physicians’ offices and hospital staff in order to receive and convey information, respond to queries, route calls, overhead paging, or pocket pagers.
- Must have basic typing skills
- Must be able to organize work to meet the daily demands in workflow.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Mail: Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.