Pharmacy Technician - Pharmacy
The Pharmacy Technician is responsible for supporting the staff Pharmacists and other team members. The Pharmacy Technician performs duties in compliance with the Standards of Practice and reports to the Manager, Pharmacy. The position is responsible for preparing and verifying products as required including pre-packaging narcotic delivery, record keeping, dispensing, ward stock checking and replenishing, operation of automated packaging equipment for the provision of patient specific refills, accurately maintaining perpetual inventory and performing other assigned duties/rotations competently.
Our ideal candidate:
- Adapts to the hospital computer and automation systems.
- Dispenses medications within the unit dose drug distribution system and automation and verifies using existing technology while maintaining floor stock on designated units according to established quotas and schedules.
- Performs reclamation (e.g. oral liquid unit dose syringes, tablets).
- Dispenses narcotic and controlled drugs according to established procedures.
- Compounds extemporaneous pharmaceuticals.
- Maintains pharmacy inventory by checking pharmaceutical stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed medications and supplies, placing and expediting orders, verifying receipt, removing outdated drugs all to ensure continuity of production.
- Will perform final inspection of compliance packaging to ensure accuracy.
- Checks medication strips against Medication profile and other documentation for accuracy.
- Will sign technical aspects of prescriptions in compliance with the approved guidelines of the Ontario College of Pharmacists.
- Delivers medications to the medication carts on hospital units, verifies against administration records
- Maintains strict confidentiality and ethical standards.
- Will be able to work independently and as an interdisciplinary team member.
- Will possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Completion of a post-secondary Pharmacy Technician Program from a recognized college, or recognized equivalent.
- Registration with the Ontario College of Pharmacists as a Registered Pharmacy Technician.
- Previous experience as a Pharmacy Technician in a hospital environment preferred.
- Previous experience in hospital Pharmacy purchasing and inventory control preferred.
- Proven ability to follow specific instructions with high degree of accuracy.
- Demonstrated initiative and judgement appropriate to the role.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computers: Microsoft Office, dispensing software systems; knowledge of Meditech is an asset
- Previous experience with AcuDose system preferred.
- Must possess knowledge and experience in the following, pharmaceutical calculations relative to the manufacturing procedure, hospital dispensing procedures, drug names -generic/trade, pharmaceutical abbreviations.
- Must have good English language written and verbal communications skills and English language literacy skills.
- Must have good human relations skills in order to work co-operatively with Pharmacists, Nurses, and other staff.
- Must have basic typing skills, with emphasis on accuracy for the preparation of labels and lists.
- Strong mathematical skills to accurately prepare, compound, and dispense medications and able to use a standard calculator with speed and accuracy.
- Must be able to organize work to meet the daily demands in workflow.
- Must be able to read graduated cylinders and use a torsion balance.
- Must have proven ability to perform the physical requirements of the position including moderate lifting and pushing carts.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Mail: Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.