Director, Communications & Special Projects
(Regular Full-Time Position)
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed facility specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. As Niagara’s only Rehabilitation Hospital, we take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is seeking an experienced and enthusiastic communications professional who wishes to use their skills and talents to benefit the patients we serve. The successful incumbent will be responsible for developing, organizing and evaluating all marketing, branding, public relations and strategic communication activities; organizing and conducting promotional and special events and tours; developing and maintaining positive relationships with the news media, government and other internal and external partners; and promoting public and community awareness of the Hospital, including leading a dynamic and profile enhancing communication initiative associated with Hotel Dieu Shaver’s bed expansion and re-development plan. You will also prepare strategic and operational plans, short and long term marketing strategies and communication plans, and take the lead in special project management.
The successful candidate will have:
- Proven success in positioning and branding organizations with internal and external markets and possess a distinctive combination of experience in the creative design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities, with strong interpersonal skills and superior organizational skills.
- Work collaboratively with Hotel Dieu Shaver Foundation, donors and key community leaders to promote and raise the profile of the Hospital as a leader in rehabilitation and complex care and to support our new build and expansion
- Experience developing publications, event and campaign materials, presentations, media tools, and advertising, including all forms of social and other digital media, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Demonstrated exceptional presentation skills to lead or act as facilitator of meetings with internal and external stakeholders and to deliver presentations and speeches when acting as a representative of the Hospital including acting as the Master of Ceremonies for our employee and volunteer recognition events, and as spokesperson with the media.
- Experience overseeing the content, design and production of print, web, social media and other materials for internal and external audiences is important.
- Experience managing high profile projects from inception to completion, exhibiting exceptional project management skills and ability to draft briefs, proposals, reports and other materials for presentation or submission to government or others.
- Knowledge of the principles, theories and practices regarding community and public relations sufficient to develop proposals for new Public Relations media relations and communication strategies and to implement established strategies.
- Analytical abilities, organizational and planning skills sufficient to develop communications plans, determine strategies, devise tactics and implement them to reach the desired goals and objectives including in crisis or emergency situations.
- Interpersonal and conflict resolution skills sufficient to develop strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including the media and government, Managers, Staff, Patients, Volunteers, Visitors and External Stakeholders, etc.; to present a professional and competent image when representing the hospital with the media, other agencies and members of the community; to prepare key spokesperson for media interviews.
- Event planning and management skills sufficient to organize, hold and evaluate special events, including public health education events, lectures series, seminars, dinners, receptions, open houses, tours, annual meetings, etc.
- Financial resource management skills in order to develop and administer the department and project budgets and to develop methods to improve upon current resource usage.
- Knowledge of alternative methods to presentation both in print and visual media sufficient to design annual reports, brochures, social media content and community publications and other such information connected with furthering the image of the hospital.
- Strong proficiency with various computer applications and social media platforms sufficient to design layouts for publications, to discuss pertinent production details in a knowledgeable manner with graphic artists and printer, and to lead the Hospital’s social media campaigns.
- Must have excellent judgement and attention to detail with a high regard for confidentiality.
The successful candidate requires:
• Completion of an undergraduate degree in Journalism, Marketing, or Communications; or an undergraduate degree with completion of a PR Graduate Certificate; or equivalent education and experience.
• A minimum of 3-5 years leadership experience in Public Relations Management.
• Recent related experience in a healthcare setting an asset.
• Proficiency in the French language an asset.
Hotel Dieu Shaver provides a competitive compensation, benefit and pension plan.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process. We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.
Closing Date: August 28, 2019 at 12pm