Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed facility specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
We are looking for eager and energetic 3rd or 4th year nursing students to work within our nursing team. Under the supervision of our nursing staff, you will be involved in patient care activities under the direction of the Registered Nurses and/or Registered Practical Nurses on duty. The primary role of the UCP/nursing student is to enhance their nursing skills, provide direct and indirect patient care in a collaborative care team model. The UCP/nursing student collaborates with the team to provide excellent patient-centred care.
In collaboration with the RN/RPN
- Assists patients and/or prompts patients as appropriate to perform their activities of daily living, while promoting their independence.
- Provide personal care and support to the patients, according to their care plan.
- Work cooperatively with the other members of the care team.
- Provides assistance with ambulating, lifting, turning, transferring and transporting using safe lifting techniques and the appropriate lifting devices in accordance with instructions received.
- Distributes nourishments and refreshments to patients and provides feeding assistance to patients. This includes encouraging patients to eat, cutting up food items into smaller pieces as needed, as well as feeding patients as necessary.
- Assists patients with bathing, toileting functions and personal care.
- Assists nursing staff to turn and reposition patients as directed. This includes assisting with the transfer of patients between bed, stretcher, chair or commode.
- Assists patients during ambulation and in completion of exercise routines.
- Assist with comfort measures and patient safety by ensuring the environment is clean, tidy, and free of hazards. Changes patients’ bed linens as necessary.
- Responding to call bells.
- Other duties as required.
- Nursing students currently enrolled in their 3rd or 4th year of a CNO approved nursing program with ability to show evidence of enrollment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including afternoon, evening and weekend hours, if necessary.
- Responsible and punctual individual.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Positive attitude and enthusiasm.
- Demonstrated knowledge of infection control practices. Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards.
- Work is moderately heavy involving lifting, frequent walking, and standing, bending, pushing and pulling of equipment.
- Fluency in both official languages is an asset.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.