Reporting to the Manager Inpatient Nursing Complex Care and Infection Prevention and Control, the role of the Infection Prevention and Control Practitioner is a vital component of health care delivery at Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre. The Infection Prevention and Control Practitioner, functions as a resource, investigator and educator. With a focus on infection prevention and providing the best patient experience, the Infection Prevention and Control Practitioner builds strong relationships with key partners and is responsible for a range of activities including monitoring and surveillance, outbreak management, education and implementation of best practices. These tasks are facilitated with the assistance of both internal and external expert resources and front line contributors. Infection Prevention and Control is truly an extended part of our health care team.
Other responsibilities of the Infection Prevention and Control Practitioner include:
- Provide leadership with growing responsibilities around the implementation of evidence based infection prevention and control practices that are consistent with standards of practice and the Hospital’s mission, vision and values;
- Provide consultation to all clinical and non-clinical areas of the hospital on matters of infection prevention and control;
- As the subject matter expert, provide infection prevention and control recommendations for patient care practices, construction and design projects, environmental cleaning and the cleaning, and disinfection of equipment;
- Risk assessments and implementation of additional precautions for pathogens or clinical presentation based on PIDAC best practice guidelines to reduce risk of transmission of infectious agents;
- Identify and report all Public Health Reportable Diseases;
- Assist in the collection of infection control data and statistics on an ongoing basis;
- Liaison with Public Health Unit & other community agencies on matters related to infection prevention, control and epidemiology;
- Work directly with staff, patients and families to provide support, education and follow-up with issues related to IPAC;
- Involved in outbreak management of the areas and services within the hospital including detection and investigation of clusters or outbreaks; and able to perform epidemiological analysis of outbreak and surveillance data;
- Monitoring to promote compliance with recommendations, standards and Ministry guidelines;
- Consult on post-exposure protocols and activities related to communicable diseases;
- Emergency preparedness and pandemic planning;
- Maintain an effective process for management of patients identified with a communicable disease through ongoing policy and procedure development, education, implementation, and auditing for process compliance;
- Implement daily surveillance activities, applying epidemiological principles, throughout the hospital and/or to selected sites within the hospital including the new build;
- Design, deliver and maintain ongoing education on IPAC and donning and doffing of PPE including providing orientation for new hospital employees, volunteers, physicians and students;
- Develop and implement educational programs or tools that relate to infection prevention, control and epidemiology;
- Wound care management, assessment and program implementation, including vac, specialty surfaces and wound care products;
- Member of hospital committees: the Infection Prevention and Control Committee, Joint Health and Safety Committee, Antimicrobial Stewardship, and Nursing Professional Practice Committee if applicable.
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in Nursing;
- Master’s in a Health related field preferred;
- Current certification in Infection Prevention and Control (CIC);
- Minimum of four (4) years recent related clinical experience preferred (surveillance, education, consultation, occupational health liaison and policy development, etc.);
- Relevant experience providing clinical education utilizing adult educational principles and evidence based practice;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both verbal and written;
- Excellent facilitation, public relations and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated problem solving, diplomacy, conflict resolution and negotiations skills;
- Current knowledge and experience with quality improvement processes;
- Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet and hospital information systems (Meditech, Windows, MS Office, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative practice model with an interdisciplinary team;
- Ability to develop strong working relationships and to work effectively in large and small team settings;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a self-directed manner as well as collaboratively within a team in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to excellent customer service when interacting with patients, families, colleagues and physicians;
- Ability to work flexible afternoon, evening and weekend hours, if necessary;
- Fluency in both official languages is an asset.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.
Applications must be submitted to the Human Resources Department no later than 1600 hours on May 12, 2021.