Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed Hospital specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
Position Type: Regular Part Time, Temporary Part Time & Casual
Working to promote nursing excellence, quality person centred care and high professional standards, the Registered Practical Nurse will be responsible for the assessment, nursing diagnosis, integrated care plan development, implementation and evaluation of all nursing care.
- Provides nursing care through the application of the nursing process. This includes conducting assessments- developing and implementing individualized nursing care plans, providing education, and evaluation.
- The Registered Practical Nurse acts as a resource and provides leadership to other health care providers collaborating in and overseeing care provided by unregulated health care providers and health care aides. This includes: assigning tasks within their scope of practice and providing guidance and support as needed.
- Coordinates seamless delivery of care to patients and their families to assist their access to the health care system, movement through and discharge from the system. Coordinates the referral of patients to the appropriate members of the professional health care team.
- Maintains clear and accurate nursing Focus documentation in accordance with Documentation Standards. The Registered Practical Nurse ensures that Transfer of Accountability is achieved and maintained at all transfer points.
- Consults with Registered Nurse in interpreting clinical information from sources such as physician orders, patient charts and patient/client histories and collaborates with the RN when the care needs of the patients are outside his/her scope of practice.
- Responsible for promoting, maintaining, and improving personal clinical skills by: identifying own learning needs and seeking appropriate resources to meet those needs, participating in in-services and hospital-based educational programs on a regular basis and attending conferences/courses which are applicable to department activities, maintaining own clinical skills regarding nursing skills and maintaining a current records of all continuing education activities undertaken.
- Adheres to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the associated regulations and Hospital Policies in order to promote employee and patient safety in the workplace
- Other job duties as required.
- Must have the ability to apply knowledge, skill, judgment and competencies required for safe independent and interdisciplinary practice by meeting nursing standards as set out by the CNO and related professional associations. I.e. medication administration.
- Must possess sufficient computer skills; experience entering patient related data using RUGS and Meditech preferred.
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent communication skills - verbal, non-verbal, and written.
- Must have the ability to complete reports, orders or other documentation clearly and accurately
- Communicates changes or problems to peers, team members, and others to develop solutions (i.e. Changes in patient/client status, problems with clinical equipment, etc.) Utilizes Transfer of Accountability (TOA) to inform and update patient changes shift to shift.
- Must adhere to relevant Provincial and or Federal regulations as well as HDSHRC policies including the collection use and disclosure of personal health information.
- Must possess organizational and planning skills and the ability to work independently sufficient to complete multiple tasks concurrently.
- Must act as a patient/client advocate and encourages others to be receptive to their needs.
- Must practice person centered care by considering the patient/ client perspective prior to taking action.
- Must have the ability to seek information to understand patient needs, develop an appropriate plan of care and follows up to ensure all needs are being met effectively.
- Must have the ability to assist patients, family members or other clients with concern and empathy; respecting their confidentiality and privacy and communicating in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Must have the ability to take appropriate action to ensure safety of self, patient and families, volunteers and other team members by adhering to HDSHRC policies and procedures.
- Must possess English language verbal communications skills and literacy skills sufficient to understand verbal and written instructions.
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Training in BCLS.
- 2 years related clinical experience within the last 6 years.
- Demonstrated skill and knowledge of physical assessment; Physical Assessment course preferred.
- Current understanding and knowledge of anatomy and the pathophysiology of disease preferred.
- Proficiency in both official languages (English and French) will be considered an asset
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Incumbent will be required to write and pass a medication competency test.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.