Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed Hospital specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Ward Clerk
Position Type: Casual Part-Time
The Ward Clerk coordinates the flow of information between the nursing department and other areas and departments throughout the Hospital, as well as amongst members of the interprofessional health care team. The Ward Clerk receives and directs visitors, answers the telephone and performs clerical duties related to ensuring the efficient flow of information and documentation.
- Enters standard information on all records for newly admitted patients; keeping chart forms in proper order; make ID labels for patient rooms
- Compiles charts for new admissions including ensuring proper identification of allergies and fall risks.
- Inputs patient room transfers and discharges on computer and notify appropriate departments of transfers, discharges and admissions.
- Schedules off site procedures at other hospitals or private offices. Books all transportation (EMS, non-urgent patient transfer) for patient travel to and from appointments. Notifies family members of scheduled procedures.
- Prepares discharge instruction sheet for patients.
- Completes and forwards requisitions for diagnostic tests, special examinations and treatments to appropriate department and places all reports on patient medical records.
- Enters patient information into Meditech order entry as required.
- Receives and directs visitors to patient rooms and screens all incoming calls, relaying messages and answering general inquiries.
- Collects and delivers items such as requisitions, specimens, transfer/discharge forms, mail, newspapers, floral arrangements, etc. to appropriate departments and patient rooms.
- Other job duties, as required.
- Completion of a Medical Office Administration Diploma at a college level or equivalent education and experience required.
- Completion of Medical Terminology course or equivalent required.
- Previous experience as a Ward Clerk in a hospital setting or recent experience in a medical office preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Previous experience with Meditech preferred.
- Knowledge of standard office procedures, record keeping, filing systems and office equipment.
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, accuracy of work, independent follow-up on information, and the ability to prioritize multiple demands with regular interruptions.
- Must have English language literacy and written skills, with emphasis on spelling and grammar sufficient to transcribe physician's orders, maintain records, transcribe messages, & read messages, information and procedures.
- Must have English language verbal communication skills sufficient to communicate effectively with staff, patients and family members.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Casual employees must be available for all days, and all shifts including weekends and statutory holidays.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.