Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed facility specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We are Niagara’s only rehabilitation hospital and we take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position Type: Casual
The Pharmacist is responsible for the provision of Pharmaceutical care to patients, the provision of Pharmaceutical services to the entire hospital and provides information and consultation regarding all aspects of Pharmaceutical therapy to all health professionals and to the public. The Pharmacist performs duties in compliance with the Standards of Practice and reports to the Manager, Outpatient Rehabilitation & Pharmacy. The position is responsible for preparing and verifying both sterile and non-sterile products as required including pre-packaging; narcotic delivery and record keeping; dispensing; ward stock checking and replenishing; operation of automated packaging equipment for the provision of patient specific refills; accurately maintaining perpetual inventory and performing other assigned duties/rotations competently.
Our ideal candidate:
- Adapts to the hospital computer and automation systems.
- Dispenses medications within the unit dose drug distribution system and automation and verifies using existing technology while maintaining floor stock on designated units according to established quotas and schedules.
- Contributes to rational drug therapeutics by assessing physician medication orders with respect to indications and contraindications, dose and frequency, potential drug interactions, method of administration and formulary status.
- Ensures proper dispensing of appropriate medication in response to nursing unit requests and physician orders through the creation of non-commercial products and extemporaneous compounds, calculating quantities and supervising the routine dispensing of pharmacy assistants.
- Ensures that the prescription is completed correctly by checking the physician order and labelled container against the patient profile and stock medication container.
- Oversees the repackaging of drugs in accordance with professional standards, i.e., C.S.H.P. standards and department policy and procedure.
- Oversees the compounding of sterile products (I.V. admixture, oncology medications, ophthalmic drops, parenteral nutrition solutions).
- Provides functional supervision to pharmacy assistants by assisting in planning the daily workload, solving problems in relation to drug distribution or inventory control.
- Acts as a resources person to nursing staff by providing drug information, I.V. compatibility, and information and education programs.
- Investigates and reports on adverse drug reactions, medication errors and drug utilization.
- Participates in workload measurement studies by collecting data through daily logs.
- Provides on-call service as required to ensure around the clock coverage of the department.
- Rotate acting as charge pharmacists on evenings, weekends, holidays and in the absence of the Manager.
- Maintains professional competency by keeping informed of changes in medical practice, new drugs and their role in current therapy.
- Maintains pharmacy inventory by checking pharmaceutical stock to determine inventory level, anticipating needed medications and supplies, placing and expediting orders, verifying receipt, removing outdated drugs all to ensure continuity of production.
- Will perform final inspection of compliance packaging to ensure accuracy.
- Checks medication strips against Medication profile and other documentation for accuracy.
- Will sign technical aspects of prescriptions in compliance with the approved guidelines of the Ontario College of Pharmacists.
- Will be able to work independently and as an interdisciplinary team member.
- Will possess good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Performs other duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy is required.
- Must be licensed with the College of Pharmacists of Ontario.
- Previous experience as a Pharmacist in a hospital environment preferred.
- Previous experience in hospital Pharmacy purchasing and inventory control preferred.
- Recent experience with a sterile Pharmacy product preparation.
- Previous experience with AcuDose system preferred.
- Proven ability to follow specific instructions with high degree of accuracy.
- Demonstrated initiative and judgement appropriate to the role.
- Demonstrated knowledge of computers: Microsoft Office, dispensing software systems; knowledge of Meditech is an asset
- Must possess knowledge and experience in the following, aseptic techniques in pharmaceutical preparation, pharmaceutical calculations relative to the manufacturing procedure, hospital dispensing procedures, drug names -generic/trade, pharmaceutical abbreviations.
- Must have good English language written and verbal communications skills and English language literacy skills.
- Must have good human relations skills in order to work co-operatively with Pharmacy Technician, Nurses, and other staff.
- Must have basic typing skills, with emphasis on accuracy for the preparation of labels and lists.
- Strong mathematical skills to accurately prepare, compound, and dispense medications and able to use a standard calculator with speed and accuracy.
- Must be able to organize work to meet the daily demands in workflow.
- Must have proven ability to perform the physical requirements of the position including moderate lifting and pushing carts.
- Proficiency in both official languages (English and French) will be considered an asset
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We invite you to join our friendly work environment and take advantage of a unique opportunity to develop in an innovative role and in a culture that fosters holistic and compassionate care. Please submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We appreciate all applications received and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted.
Job posting available until August 11, 2022