Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed facility specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We are Niagara’s only rehabilitation hospital and we take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Rehab Assistant
Position Type: Casual
12 months: $27.7503
24 months: $28.4618
The Rehabilitation Assistant is responsible for providing a wide range of assigned patient care activities carried out under the direction and supervision of a Physiotherapist or Occupational Therapist. The incumbent is also responsible for tasks related to the safety, cleanliness and appearance of treatment areas, mobility equipment maintenance, and for administrative support tasks related to effective functioning of the team/program. The Rehabilitation Assistant will also collect accurate workload statistical data and keep patient records which reflect the work completed. The incumbent will participate in the supervision of assigned students.
Our ideal candidate:
- Provides a wide range of assigned patient care activities under the supervision/direction of a Physiotherapist or Occupational Therapist.
- This may include: carrying out exercise/therapy programs with assigned patients, communicating with referring therapist, preparing, removing assigned treatment modalities, including US, Laser, TENS, FES, performing ADL training, assisting with the fabrication of assistive devices, splints and adapted clothing, supervising balance and gait activities including basic correction techniques, carrying out hydrotherapy programs as assigned, conducting exercise classes.
- Will receive patients arriving for treatment; prepare them for treatment, assist with their reasonable needs, transport them to other centre locations as appropriate, assisting with equipment inventory, supply ordering, etc.
- Will be responsible for cleaning and disinfecting the area as per department standards, ensuring equipment is maintained and calibrated.
- Maintains accurate patient records and workload statistics that reflect work completed.
- Maintain and upgrade clinical knowledge and skills by attending in-services, workshops, etc. and utilizing in-house resources as appropriate as well as seeking instruction as needed.
- Other job duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- The incumbent must have completed a recognized OTA/PTA program (minimum 2 years) and hold an OTA/PTA diploma.
- Previous experience in a health care facility with adults required.
- Previous experience in Electrotherapy preferred.
- Must possess English language verbal communication skills sufficient to understand and communicate detailed instructions, directions and procedures clearly to patients, students and other staff.
- Must possess English language literacy skills sufficient to complete and review patient treatment flow sheets.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and time management skills; be organized and able to function effectively both independently and as an interdisciplinary team member.
- Must possess the ability to operate a personal computer and be familiar with Microsoft office programs and perform data entry and retrieval functions.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We invite you to join our friendly work environment and take advantage of a unique opportunity to develop in an innovative role and in a culture that fosters holistic and compassionate care. Please submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We appreciate all applications received and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted.