Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed facility specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We are Niagara’s only rehabilitation hospital and we take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Maintenance Engineer - 3rd Class
Position Type: Regular Full-Time
Rate of Pay
Step 1: $29.35
Step 2: $30.12
Step 3: $30.89
Reporting to the Director of Environmental Services, the preferred candidate works as part of the Maintenance team to operate and maintain all hospital mechanical equipment such as boilers, chillers, compressors, generators, refrigeration units, HVAC and building systems in accordance with CSA Standards, Building and Fire Codes and related legislated requirements. In addition, duties include the operation and maintenance of air handling units, pumps, appliances and other equipment along with other general maintenance duties throughout the hospital.
Key Duties & Responsibilities Include:
- Troubleshoots operating problems, inspect reported damage to various systems, plumbing lines and fixtures; piping, heating, cooling and ventilating systems; mechanical patient care support services and wheeled equipment, etc.
- Maintains and services water systems (e.g., tests, analyses and logs pumps, converters, heat reclamation system, and piping).
- Remove and replace parts (e.g., pipes, valves, sight glasses, safety valves, pumps, packing and mechanical seals).
- Performs daily boiler chemical tests, calculates impurities, mixes chemicals, and adds chemicals as necessary.
- Monitors and maintains pneumatic control system.
- Read gauges on various pieces of equipment, verifying and recording the readings, prepares shift reports.
- Monitor and respond to plant alarms.
- Various grounds keeping including clearing driveways and sidewalks of snow, operating a tractor as required, and hospital waste disposal.
- Carries out minor sheet metal fabrication and installation for repairs of equipment and ducts using oxy-acetylene and electric arc welding equipment.
- Ensuring the preventative maintenance of the hospital's buildings, utility systems, equipment and grounds including responsibility for renovations and structural changes to the hospital.
- Hospital fire prevention and fire safety.
- Liaise with outside contractors, vendors and inspectors.
- Routine carpentry to maintain building and furnishings and assembles, installs and relocates mechanical equipment.
- Repairs or replaces, according to building codes, Canadian Standards Association (CSA) regulations on equipment, underwriters regulations and other applicable codes in the care and maintenance of hospital equipment.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A minimum of a 3rd class license with TSSA.
- Recent related working experience in an Institutional or Health Care setting is an asset.
- Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in operation and maintenance of various building equipment and systems, Building Automation Systems (BAS).
- Ability to read schematics.
- Boilers/ chillers/ H.V.A.C. experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to repair and maintain various types of equipment hospital infrastructure and systems.
- Ability to work various shifts and a rotating on-call schedule.
- Training in Occupational Health & Safety and WHMIS.
- Valid Class G driver’s license.
- C.P.R. certification required.
- Fluency in both official languages is an asset
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We invite you to join our friendly work environment and take advantage of a unique opportunity to develop in an innovative role and in a culture that fosters holistic and compassionate care. Please submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We appreciate all applications received and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted.