Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed facility specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We are Niagara’s only rehabilitation hospital and we take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Occupational Therapist
Position Type: Casual
The Occupational Therapist is responsible for providing quality person-centered therapy services within the in-patient and out-patient clinical programs. These services include accurate patient assessment, client-driven goal setting/treatment planning, providing treatment, education, maintaining client records, and planning appropriate/timely discharges. The Occupational Therapist will assign duties appropriately to Rehabilitation Assistants and support personnel. The Occupational Therapist will work collaboratively within an interprofessional team to provide these services to patients.
Our ideal candidate:
- Interviews patients (and/or family members) to obtain relevant medical history and to set realistic patient driven goals. Accurately assesses patient’s functional abilities and needs. Establishes and implements a patient driven Occupational Therapist treatment plan.
- Assesses the need for other health care professionals and informs the patient of any demonstrated need. Facilitates the referral or input of others as appropriate.
- Communicates with the patient regarding the purpose, goals and structure of the treatment program and obtaining informed consent for treatment.
- Implements treatment programs which may include the arrangements of adaptive equipment or assistive devices.
- Proficiency in providing rehabilitation for individuals diagnosed with dysfunction, disease, or trauma to the upper extremity.
- Has experience in fabricating custom splints for the upper extremity for acute injuries.
- Communicates and collaborates with team members to ensure integrated, coordinated patient care through the use of written documentation, team/family meetings, and patient conferences.
- Monitors the patient’s needs during treatment and adjusting the treatment plan according to the patient’s status.
- Assigns appropriate patient care activities to Rehab Assistants.
- Provides education to patients and families regarding activities of daily living, home programs and adaptations to work/leisure, etc.
- Discharges the patient when necessary and ensuring appropriate follow up care through referral to other appropriate health care professionals and/or the referring/family physician.
- The Occupational Therapist maintains accurate, complete and current patient records and workload statistics.
- The incumbent ensures the provision of quality patient care.
- Other job duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- A Master of Science Degree in Occupational Therapy or equivalent is required.
- Hold a current General Practicing Certificate from the College of Occupational Therapist of Ontario.
- Must possess the ability to operate a personal computer to perform data entry/retrieval and work processing functions.
- Must have a working knowledge of the legislation governing the practice of Occupational Therapy.
- Working knowledge of Meditech program would be preferred.
- Must possess English language verbal communication skills sufficient to understand and communicate detailed instructions, directions and procedures clearly to patients, students and other staff.
- Must possess English language literacy skills sufficient to complete and review patient assessment and treatment reports.
- Proficiency in both official languages (English and French) will be considered an asset
- Must have proven ability to perform the physical requirements of the position.
- MOCA Certification required.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We invite you to join our friendly work environment and take advantage of a unique opportunity to develop in an innovative role and in a culture that fosters holistic and compassionate care. Please submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We appreciate all applications received and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted.