Your Health Information
The Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre provides specialty health care services in the Regional Municipality of Niagara.
HDSHRC works in partnership in the provision of health care services with the Niagara Health System (NHS) and other health care agencies. The NHS and HDSHRC use a common electronic system for patient records that is maintained by the NHS
Collection, Use and Disclosure of Personal Health Information
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre collects Personal Health Information (PHI) about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to HDSHRC and the care that you received during those visits. Occasionally, we collect PHI about you from other sources, if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- Treat and care for you
- Conduct quality improvement activities
- Compile statistics
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- Conduct research as approved by the Research Ethics Board
- Notify a representative of a religious or other organization to visit you during your stay
- Notify you of an appointment or change to an appointment
- Plan, administer and manage our internal operations
- Conduct risk management activities
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law
- Obtain payment for your treatment and care from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer or others
- Conduct patient satisfaction surveys
- Confirm that you are a patient, your general health status and your room and telephone extension while in the hospital
- Locate you or your family in urgent/emergent situations using an overhead paging system
- Facilitate the federal and provincial governments’ goal of providing Canadians with an electronic health record. This will improve patient safety, reduce wait times, avoid duplicate testing and enhance timely access to your health information by your health care provider. As these systems become established your HDSHRC information will be stored securely on shared health information databases, accessible only by your authorized health care provider
As well, we disclose your contact information to our Hospital Foundation so they may conduct fundraising to improve our health-care facilities, services and programs.