The Occupational Therapist is responsible for providing quality person-centered therapy services within the in-patient and out-patient clinical programs. These services include accurate patient assessment, client-driven goal setting/treatment planning, providing treatment, education, maintaining client records, and planning appropriate/timely discharges. The Occupational Therapist will assign duties appropriately to Rehabilitation Assistants and support personnel. The Occupational Therapist will work collaboratively within an interprofessional team to provide these services to patients. Occupational Therapy services are also offered to HDSHRC employees as part of the Occupational Health Program for work-related injuries.
Our ideal candidate:
- Interviews patients (and/or family members) to obtain relevant medical history and to set realistic patient driven goals. Accurately assesses patient’s functional abilities and needs. Establishes and implements a patient driven Occupational Therapist treatment plan.
- Assesses the need for other health care professionals and informs the patient of any demonstrated need. Facilitates the referral or input of others as appropriate.
- Communicates with the patient regarding the purpose, goals and structure of the treatment program and obtaining informed consent for treatment.
- Implements the treatment program which may include the arrangements of adaptive equipment, wheelchair prescriptions or the fabrication/arrangements of splinting devices/assistive devices.
- Communicates and collaborates with team members to ensure integrated, coordinated patient care through the use of written documentation, team/family meetings, and patient conferences.
- Monitors the patient’s needs during treatment and adjusting the treatment plan according to the patient’s status.
- Assigns appropriate patient care activities to Rehab Assistants/Aides.
- Performs home visits as necessary to arrange safe patient discharge or job site visits to facilitate early/safe return to work.
- Provides education to patients and families regarding activities of daily living, home programs and adaptations to work/leisure, etc.
- Discharges the patient when necessary and ensuring appropriate follow up care through referral to other appropriate health care professionals and/or the referring/family physician.
- The Occupational Therapist maintains accurate, complete and current patient records and workload statistics.
- The incumbent ensures the provision of quality patient care.
- Other job duties as required.
- The successful candidate will possess:
- A Master of Science Degree in Occupational Therapy or equivalent is required.
- Hold a current General Practicing Certificate from the College of Occupational Therapist of Ontario.
- Must possess the ability to operate a personal computer to perform data entry/retrieval and work processing functions.
- Must have a working knowledge of the legislation governing the practice of Occupational Therapy.
- Working knowledge of Meditech program would be preferred.
- Must possess English language verbal communication skills sufficient to understand and communicate detailed instructions, directions and procedures clearly to patients, students and other staff.
- Must possess English language literacy skills sufficient to complete and review patient assessment and treatment reports.
- Must have proven ability to perform the physical requirements of the position.
Casual employees must be available for all days, and all shifts including occasional Sundays
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.