South Niagara Health & Wellness Centre
Our purpose is to support older adults recently discharged from hospital or at risk for hospitalization. A doctor's referral is required for our structured, time limited outpatient program that promotes optimal mobility, function and independence. Individualized treatment programs are based on identified goals. Appointments are 3 hours in the morning or afternoon and include participation in wellness programming and education. In addition, participants are connected to resources in the community to further support their independence after discharge. South Niagara Health and Wellness Centre consists of Niagara Region, Hotel Dieu Shaver, Niagara College, Niagara Health, March of Dimes, and Community Care Access Centre. The treatment provided here is completely free to participants.Eligible Participants
- have a written medical referral
- are medically stable
- are able to transfer with one person or independently
- are able to learn new tasks
- have the potential to improve functionally
- are motivated and willing to participate
- are a resident of Niagara with a valid health card
- live in a community setting, including retirement homes
- transportation is not provided and needs to be arranged by the patient or patient's family. Assistance is available to coordinate registration with local transportation providers. Paid parking is located in Parking Lot A at the college campus.
- increased functional independence at home
- assist patients to set realistic treatment goals and to continue their therapy at home through self-management strategies
- facilitate early supported discharge from hospital and avoid readmission
- empower patients and families to integrate into their community and manage chronic health conditions
- improve patient and families experience with transition from hospital to community
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Language Pathology
- Wellness Programming/Health Education
"All members of the staff were very helpful and attentive"
"The program was beneficial for me. I go away knowing I can continue to do even better. Thank you so much."
"I hated to see it end!"
"Well designed for each individual."
"I enjoyed the program. I reached my goals and will continue to improve with the program. I was given things to do at home. Thanks for all you help and kindness."
"Everyone is knowledgeable and well versed on their task."
"I enjoyed meeting other people. Everyone was so helpful. Once I have a walker, I will be able to reach my goal of going shopping at the mall."
"The program has provided exercises that have substantially improved my mobility and confidence."
A Physician Referral is required for this program. Please click here: Referral form. Once completed, please fax referral form to Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre. Fax number: (905) 688-9905
We are located at:
Niagara College - Applied Health Institute
100 Niagara College Blvd
Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 4:00 pm