Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed Hospital specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Manager, Food Services and Clinical Nutrition
Department: Food Services
Position Type: Regular Full-Time
The Manager, Food Services and Clinical Nutrition is responsible for ensuring the provision of quality food production for inpatient meal service, the Dieu Drop-in Cafe, Meals on Wheels and catering. The position oversees both the Food Service and Clinical Nutrition Departments including procurement, patient menus, human resources and managing of equipment to ensure smooth delivery of patient and non-patient meal service. The position is required to liaise with Niagara Health regarding our diet office services for inpatient menu management and maintenance. The Manager, Food Services and Clinical Nutrition is a vital component of the HDS leadership team.
- Responsible for supervision of the food production, distribution and procurement for all food purchased and produced on site for inpatients, staff, visitors, catering, Meals on Wheels and Café/Vending.
- Uses extensive knowledge and understanding of therapeutic diets and textures including IDDSI (International Dysphasia Diet Standardization Initiative) to manage the clinical responsibilities within food services as well as the utilization of working knowledge of all diet orders to comply with the various inpatient diet requirements.
- Develops, maintains, and modifies the work schedules for all staff as necessary. Performs all temporary work schedule adjustments as required for sick time or vacation, etc.
- Develops and maintains departmental policies and procedures, duty outlines, job descriptions, time sheets and attendance information and payroll.
- Responsible for staff selection, department orientation and training and evaluates the staff in accordance with Hospital policies and procedures, the current SEIU and OPSEU collective agreements along with guidance from the Human Resources department.
- Monitors the work functions within the department to ensure compliance with all applicable Hospital and departmental policies and procedures paying particular attention to food preparation for all inpatients and non-patient services; including food-handling techniques, compliance with Food Service and Public Health guidelines, temperature monitoring, ensuring production schedules, equipment operation and safety procedures (i.e. WHMIS), sanitation and equipment maintenance are met.
- Overall responsibility for the coordination and completion of the daily inpatient meal service ensuring that patient food trays are prepared in accordance with the individual patient menu selections respective to diet order and texture restrictions as well as the delivery of hot meals and nourishments to the inpatient units.
- Facilitates food substitutions in accordance with patient’s dietary requirements.
- Utilizes knowledge of the IDDSI (International Dysphasia Diet Standardization Initiative) to ensure appropriate texture modifications to foods and to recipe development.
- Accomplishes departmental financial objectives by forecasting operational and capital requirements, preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analyzing variances, and initiating corrective action.
- Ensures all food contracts are developed and maintained in coordination with Medbuy/Mealsource group purchasing. Manages all aspects of foods including product availability and restrictions in order to adequately produce the inpatient meals, nourishment items, café, catering services and Meals On Wheels.
- Works collaboratively with the Registered Dietitians for menu planning, recipe development and testing and application of new Dietetic guidelines.
- Oversees the Diet Assistant role with inpatient menu process and nutritional care concerns.
- Updates and maintains the Food Services Production Sheets for Niagara Health (NH). Provides ingredient updates with NH regarding any food item changes. Coordinates menu services with Central Diet Office as required.
- Maintains computer programming for Multigens and Cafe cash register.
- Is responsible for the implementation and adherence of Public Health Guidelines within the “Dieu Drop in Café” along with assisting HDS volunteers that support this area.
- Maintains quality service by enforcing quality standards, analyzing and resolving quality and patient concerns and questions and recommending system improvements.
- Ensures adherence to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Public Health Guidelines, associated regulations and Hospital Policies in order to promote employee and patient safety in the workplace.
- Other job duties as required.
The successful candidate will have:
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Food and Nutrition or a combination of equivalent experience and education.
- Minimum five (5) years management experience in a large volume food production /healthcare facility.
Working knowledge of Therapeutic Diets and all diet orders to comply with inpatient requirements.
- Member of Canadian Society of Nutrition Managers required.
- Previous experience supervising staff in a unionized environment is an asset.
- Experience with central food delivery systems, retherm processes and food procurement experience required.
- Member of the College of Dietitians of Ontario preferred.
- Excellent organizational, communication, attendance and interpersonal skills.
- Organizational skills sufficient to establish and revise workload priorities based upon work volume, fluctuating deadlines and with regular interruptions, while maintaining a very high level of accuracy and meeting all required deadlines.
- Must be flexible and willing to respond to the needs of others.
- Ability to work in a manner that exemplifies the core values of Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre.
- Fluency in both official languages is an asset.
Hotel Dieu Shaver provides a competitive compensation, benefit and pension plan.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.
Closing Date: June 27, 2021 at 4:00 p.m.