Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed Hospital specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Health Care Aide
Position Type: Casual
The Health Care Aide provides selected health care services to patients under the direction of nursing staff to provide non-nursing care duties in support of the day to day operation of the nursing units, to maintain appropriate communication and documentation with the interprofessional team and other nursing staff as necessary.
- Provides assistance to patients and/or prompts patients as appropriate to perform their activities for daily living. This includes assisting patients to undress, bathe and dress, and perform skin care, teeth and hair care maintenance such as washing, drying and brushing hair, shaving, trimming hair and brushing teeth.
- Porters patients by wheelchair, stretcher or bed, within the department as well as to other clinical areas as directed by nursing staff.
- Distributes nourishments and refreshments to patients and provides feeding assistance to patients. This includes encouraging patients to eat, cutting up food items into smaller pieces as needed, as well as feeding patients as necessary.
- Assists patients with toileting functions. This includes cleaning patients and changing undergarments as necessary as well as utilizing safe lifting techniques and lifting devices.
- Assists nursing staff to turn and reposition patients as directed. This includes assisting with the transfer of patients between bed, stretcher, chair or commode using safe lifting techniques and the appropriate lifting devices in accordance with instructions received from the nursing staff.
- Provides assistance to patients during ambulation and in completion of exercise routines. This includes utilizing appropriate techniques and equipment as instructed by the nursing staff.
- Changes patients’ bed linens as necessary. This includes stripping linens from beds, remaking the beds and placing soiled linens in linen bag in the appropriate place for pick up.
- And other duties as required.
Our ideal candidate:
- Must possess interpersonal skills sufficient to work cooperatively with other department staff and to deal effectively with patients and their families.
- Must have the ability to contribute to the delivery of safe, effective and quality patient care services on the unit as directed by the nursing staff.
- Must be able to utilize wheelchairs, wheeled carts and stretchers to porter patients, supplies and equipment between nursing units and other departments.
- Must be able to provide assistance to patients during ambulation and in completion of exercise routines.
- Must be able to adhere to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the associated regulations and Hospital Policies in order to promote employee and patient safety in the workplace.
- Must possess English language verbal communications skills and literacy skills sufficient to understand verbal and written instructions.
- Must be able to work independently, following specific procedures and schedules.
- Proficiency in both official languages (English and French) will be considered an asset
- Secondary School Diploma
- Successful completion of the Certified Health Care Aide or Personal Support Worker Program
- Experience in a therapeutic setting, preferably with adults.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.