Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed facility specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We are Niagara’s only rehabilitation hospital and we take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Housekeeping Aide
Department: Hospitality Services
Position Type: Casual
Hospitality Services is responsible for maintaining the Hospital in a clean, sanitary, orderly and attractive condition in order to provide a suitable environment for the care of patients, the work of the Hospital staff and the control of infections in accordance with infection control policies. Services include general cleaning of patient rooms, administrative offices and common floor areas as well as specialized cleaning for isolation areas and the distribution of clean linens.
- Strips and disinfects beds, removes patient utensils such as bedpans, wash basins, etc., turns mattresses and makes beds with clean linen.
- Disinfects and dusts furnishings and fixtures.
- Washing screens and windows in all areas.
- Maintenance of floors and baseboards in patient care areas, public areas and hallways.
- Cleaning and disinfecting patient rooms, washrooms, and shower rooms.
- Dry mopping, wet mopping with germicidal solutions and vacuuming carpets
- Empties and cleans garbage containers.
- Following waste management procedures pertaining to biomedical and regular waste.
- Performs other duties such as cleaning refrigerators, wheelchairs, stretchers, IV poles, housekeeping cart and buckets and dispensing ready to use cleaners.
- Helps maintain linen supplies on units.
- Other job duties as required.
- An Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must possess previous experience in hospitality services / housekeeping. Cleaning experience in a healthcare setting would be preferred.
- Knowledge of PIDAC Best practice standards for environmental cleaning and isolation cleaning an asset.
- Previous experience operating an auto scrubber is an asset.
- Must possess knowledge of the different forms of isolation procedures for cleaning rooms and knowledge of the practice of universal precautions.
- Must possess English language verbal communications skills and literacy skills sufficient to understand verbal and written instructions and to read product labels and procedure manuals.
- Must be able to work independently, following specific procedures and schedules.
- Must be able to operate a computer in order to access basic information.
- Proficiency in both official languages (English and French) will be considered an asset
Casual employees must be available for all days, and all shifts including weekends and statutory holidays.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We invite you to join our friendly work environment and take advantage of a unique opportunity to develop in an innovative role and in a culture that fosters holistic and compassionate care. Please submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We appreciate all applications received and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted.