Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed facility specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We are Niagara’s only rehabilitation hospital and we take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Dietary Helper
Department: Food Services
Position Type: Casual
The Dietary Helper provides food service to patients in hospital by portioning food, preparing cold foods, assembling patient trays and performing all duties related to sanitizing patient trays and service areas.
Our ideal candidate:
- Must possess knowledge of hospital food services sufficient to understand therapeutic diets, food production and service processes.
- Must have proficient English language literacy skills sufficient to maintain records, read patient information and menus, to transcribe and relay telephone messages, with emphasis on accuracy.
- Must possess interpersonal skills sufficient to work cooperatively with other department staff and to deal effectively with patients, their families and the public.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must have ability to withstand hot temperatures in kitchen.
- Must possess organizational skills sufficient to work independently and to rearrange own work load to meet established priorities.
- Must have English language literacy skills sufficient to read and comprehend job procedures, supply labels, menus, messages, new admission information, order sheets and accurately transcribe patient information.
- Must have the ability to perform the physical demands of the position, i.e. Lifting, pushing, bending and reaching. Position requires extensive standing and walking.
- Must possess knowledge of arithmetic, weights and measures sufficient to portion out accurate quantities of food ingredients in accordance with established standards.
- Proficiency in both official languages (English and French) will be considered an asset
The successful candidate will possess:
- An Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent.
- One or more year of recent related experience preferred.
- Safe Food Handlers Certification required.
- Successful completion of a Food Services Worker Program (or current enrolment) from a recognized college preferred.
Part-Time / Casual employees must be available for all days, and all shifts including weekends and statutory holidays.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
We invite you to join our friendly work environment and take advantage of a unique opportunity to develop in an innovative role and in a culture that fosters holistic and compassionate care. Please submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We appreciate all applications received and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted.