Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed facility specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We are Niagara’s only rehabilitation hospital and we take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position Type: Casual and Temporary Full Time
Salary Range: $46.80-$62.62
New Pharmacist Graduates are encouraged to apply!
Working to the full expanded scope, Pharmacist is responsible for the provision of Pharmaceutical care to patients, the provision of Pharmacy services within the hospital, and consultations on all aspects of the scope as a medication therapy experts to all health professionals and to the public.
The Pharmacist performs duties in compliance with the hospital policies and procedures and the Ontario College of Pharmacists Standards of Practice and reports to the Director of Pharmacy and Quality Improvement.
The position is responsible for:
- Direct, patient-centered care in partnership with patients/family in a multi-disciplinary team environment
- Provision of clinical pharmacy services for optimal and safe patient care and acts as a leader/unit liaison. Some of the activities would include medication reconciliation, quarterly medication reviews, drug information, drug utilization, developing clinical protocols and processes while promoting evidence-based practice, etc.
- Fully support pharmacy automation and medication distribution system
- Lead within respective clinical role and supervise Pharmacy students for on-site clinical education/placement
Our ideal candidate:
- Adapts to the hospital information technology and automation systems and supports clinical pharmacy services as well as pharmacy operations e.g. order entry, verification and performing all aspects of drug distribution activities.
- Actively participates in physician rounds, multidisciplinary team conferences, and contributes to rational drug therapeutics by assessing physician medication orders with respect to indications and contraindications, dose and frequency, potential drug interactions, method of administration and formulary status.
- Acts as a resource for daily workload planning, and problem solving as it relates to drug distribution or inventory control for ensuring safe medication access to patients and nursing units in a fiscally responsible manner
- Educates prescribers, nursing staff, allied health and patients by providing drug information and presents the information to these groups as necessary
- Investigates and reports on adverse drug reactions, medication errors and drug utilization
- Participates in workload measurement and reporting per Ministry of Health and Long Term Care standards and hospital requirements
- Is required to maintain professional competency
- Will possess good professional communication and interpersonal skills, and conflict resolution skills
- Performs other assigned duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- At the minimum a Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy or Pharm D or equivalent is required
- Must be licensed and in good standing with the Ontario College of Pharmacists
- Previous experience in a hospital environment and or advanced/ designated certification ( i.e. Certified Diabetes Educator, Certified Geriatric Pharmacist or other advanced/masters qualification), preferred
- Previous experience with pharmacy automation systems, preferred
- Self-motivated and able to take initiative
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently as an interdisciplinary team member
- Demonstrates strong understanding of the systems impact to clinical workflows and working knowledge of use of computers and information technology, hospital/ Pharmacy information system and closed loop medication management systems
- Must have required communication skills for clinical documentation and drug distribution activities. Prior experience with Automated packing system (PACMED and PACVISION), Medidose, Meditech, Pyxis automated dispensing system, and Oracle Cerner is preferred.
- Working knowledge of Windows Operating System, Microsoft Office is required
- Proficiency in both official languages (English and French) will be considered an asset
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
We invite you to join our friendly work environment and take advantage of a unique opportunity to develop in an innovative role and in a culture that fosters holistic and compassionate care. Please submit your resume and cover letter.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.