The Patient Rights and Responsibilities are designed to help nurture positive relationships between patients and healthcare professionals. We are committed to providing you with compassionate and quality healthcare. Please review your rights and responsibilities to better understand what you can expect from us as caregivers and what we respectfully request of you in order to make your stay as comfortable as possible.
Statement of Information Practices
Click Here to read about how Hotel Dieu Shaver protects your personal health information.
Our facility is built on the principle of mutual respect. You are required to treat, and are entitled to be treated, in a respectful manner. Inappropriate behaviours or actions such as offensive language, threats, name calling, physical violence, striking out towards anyone on our property is not acceptable. We are committed to maintaining a safe and supportive atmosphere, therefore access to our facility may be denied to individuals in violation of our policy.
We recognize the following fundamental rights of our patients and we are committed to maintain an environment that both nurtures and protects these rights:
- To receive courteous and respectful care regardless of gender, creed, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age, family status, financial or medical status.
- To receive assistance toward independence and self care to the maximum level possible in comfort and dignity.
- To expect all to be properly identified and those providing direct care to be introduced to the patient.
- To have confidentiality maintained regarding your personal, financial, medical and other records which are entrusted to the facility and available only to those for whom the information is essential and/or those authorized by the patient.
- To receive all information necessary to give informed consent to any diagnostic or treatment intervention, including the known risks involved and existing alternatives to the proposed care or treatment. (Note: In the case of an incompetent patient, this information will be given to the patient’s substitute decision maker.)
- To refuse treatment and be informed of the potential health risks of your decision.
- To request and receive information about your illness including diagnosis, treatment and prognosis in terms and language that you are able to understand. To choose whether or not to participate in any research project.
- To be informed of any additional financial cost that may be incurred for services.
- To request information about the procedure for addressing concerns and the ability to raise those concerns or recommend changes regarding the care and service received without fear of reprisal.
- To involve family and/or friends with aspects of your care as appropriate.
- To be provided with palliative care and to die with dignity in accordance with one’s beliefs and wishes.
- To have a clean and safe environment.
- To have all physicians, staff, volunteers and students respect the above patient rights.
Hotel Dieu Shaver recognizes your rights and reminds you of your responsibilities as a patient. They include:
- Cooperate and participate with your health care providers during your treatment.
- Provide accurate information about your illness to the best of your ability.
- Accept the consequences of refusing treatment.
- Treat your health care team and fellow patients in a respectful and considerate manner.
- Be patient if you encounter delays and understand that sometimes other patients’ needs may be more urgent than yours.
- Be responsible for personal property and valuables.
- Treat hospital furnishings and property with respect and obey no smoking by-laws and other hospital regulation.
- Cooperate and participate in planning for your discharge.
- Arrange payment for all uninsured financial costs incurred in your care.
- Voice any concerns regarding care to your health care providers.
- Identify one family member or friend appointed as the primary contact to communicate with the health care team.
Compliments, concerns or comments about patient care?
Janice Latam, Director Health Data & Quality Improvement | Email | ext. 85323
Morrigan Grey, Coordinator Health Data & Human Resources | Email | ext. 85229