Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre is a faith based 134 bed Hospital specializing in rehabilitation, complex care and seniors’ health. We take pride in providing an environment where our staff can grow professionally and personally. Add to that the beautiful environment of the Niagara Region with its breathtaking nature trails, award-winning wineries, acclaimed arts and culture and post-secondary institutions, and Hotel Dieu Shaver is where great careers begin and excel.
Position: Speech Language Pathologist
Department: Speech Language Pathology
Position Type: Casual
The Speech-Language Pathologist is responsible for providing a complete range of services related to the prevention, identification, assessment, treatment and rehabilitation of communication and/or swallowing disorders in adults. These services are provided on an Inpatient and an Outpatient basis. The Speech-Language Pathologist also provides education and counseling services for individuals experiencing communication and/or swallowing difficulties.
- Provides therapeutic assessment services to clients. This includes assessing clients’ physical, communicative, swallowing and cognitive deficits as well as identification and treatment.
- Develops, implements, re-assesses and revises individual treatment plans for clients. Such interventions may at times include the recommendation of diet modifications and/or developing programs to be implemented at home on an individualized basis.
- Maintains all appropriate clinical documentation in accordance with department policy and procedures. This includes completing patient charting, maintaining statistics, progress notes, etc. and composing professional correspondence regarding patients.
- Participates as a member of the rehabilitation team along with the Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist and other health care professionals to review patient cases, identify client treatment needs, recommend and revise treatment strategies and coordinate and implement treatment and discharge plans.
- Maintains professional knowledge regarding speech-language pathology practices, processes, technologies, etc. by reading professional journals, attending skill specific courses, workshops and conferences.
- Conducts in-service and education sessions for hospital staff, students, clients, client’s caregivers, etc. regarding the assessment, prognosis and treatment of specific communication and dysphasic disorders.
- Contributes to the effectiveness of the speech-language pathology service through participation as appropriate in Continuous Quality Improvement initiatives and through participation in Interprofessional team meetings.
- Assigning and monitoring the work of the Communication Disorders Assistants and SLP Students.
- Other job duties as required.
The successful candidate will possess:
- Must possess a Masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology from a recognized college or university.
- Must obtain and maintain registration with the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario.
- Must possess a working knowledge of the legislation governing the practice of Speech Language Pathology.
- Must possess and demonstrate excellent English language communication skills - verbal, non-verbal, and written.
- Must possess organizational and planning skills and the ability to work independently sufficient to complete multiple tasks concurrently.
- Must possess computer skills sufficient to generate reports and enter patient related data.
- Must possess effective time management skills.
- Must possess the ability to assist patients, family members or other clients with concern and empathy; respecting their confidentiality and privacy and communicating in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Must possess human relations skills sufficient to develop effective therapeutic relationships with patients and their families and to develop and maintain positive working relationships with physicians and other members of the health care team.
- Must possess the ability to organize work and determine appropriate priorities.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption based on medical or other ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in serving our community in an environment of holistic and compassionate care and would like to join our team, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter.
Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
Human Resources Department
541 Glenridge Avenue
St. Catharines, ON L2T 4C2
Fax: (905) 687-3228
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request throughout the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their reply and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted by the Human Resources Department.